A man who tried to sexually assault a 14-year-old boy as he walked through a secluded alleyway is being hunted by police.
He managed to escape and raise the alarm, police said.
The boy wasn’t hurt, but left ‘understandably shaken’ in the incident, GMP said.
The Manchester Evening News reported last year three women were sexually assaulted as they walked through the same alleyway in the Edgeley area of Stockport.
Detectives are now appealing for witnesses.
The latest incident happened between 2pm and 2.30pm on Monday.
The alleyway joins Booth Street and Moscow Road East in Edgeley.
Often flooded and full of litter, it runs adjacent to the railway line behind Stockport County Football Club’s ground.
Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter
Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter
You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here
Police said the boy was walking through the alleyway at the time.
A GMP spokesman said in a statement: “He was approached by a man who spoke to him inappropriately.
“The man then attempted to sexually assault him.
“The boy was able to run away and raise the alarm.
“He was left shaken by the incident and is being cared for by specialist officers.”
The man is described as Asian, aged between 25 and 30 and skinny.
He had facial hair, described by police as groomed but slightly scruffy, and black combed-over hair.
The man is also described as having a grey spot on his left cheek and was wearing a dark blue tracksuit with red or orange stripes down the sleeves and possibly the bottoms.
Detective Constable Gary Logan said: “Thankfully the boy was uninjured during this very concerning incident, but he was left understandably shaken by his ordeal.
“Were you in the area at the time or do you recognise him from the description of the offender?
“It is vital that anyone with information, CCTV or dash-cam footage that can assist our enquiries contacts police as soon as possible.”
Three women were sexually assaulted on the path last year, between February and June.
The first incident happened just before 5.15pm on February 1.
Police said a young man went up to the victim, who was in her 40s, and began talking to her before sexually assaulting her.
On June 4, there was another assault. A woman, also in her 40s, was sexually assaulted at around 4.05pm.
Then, less than two weeks later on June 17, another victim, a woman aged in her 30s, was targeted in the same location at 11.25am.
The three attacks were linked at the time by detectives, but the description of the attacker differed from that in the latest incident.
GMP have been approached for further comment.
Call 0161 856 9790 quoting incident number 1717 of 27/07/20 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.