Man stamped on woman’s head before manhandling her son following bust-up over VE day flags and bunting

A man stamped on a woman’s head before manhandling her son down the stairs following an argument about VE Day decorations

Andrew Morris, 44, visited the woman’s house on May 9 last year.

The woman’s teenage son had a ‘temper tantrum’ after seeing the VE flags and bunting around the house, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

He ripped down the flags, which upset Morris, who then left the house.

READ MORE:City centre delays as man, 43, is rushed to hospital after being hit by tram

“There was an argument between the defendant and the complainant over the phone and he called her son a ‘little c***’ and described his behaviour as disrespectful,” prosecutor Charlotte Rimmer said.

“He returned to the house at around 1pm where the argument continued and he drank four measures of vodka and coke.”

They continued to argue, with Morris leaving the house and coming back on a number of occasions throughout the evening.

She eventually told him she ‘wouldn’t put up with his behaviour’ and asked him to leave, but he refused.

“The defendant… then became threatening and abusive towards her,” the prosecutor continued.

“They were both inside the kitchen when she picked up her keys and the defendant walked calmly towards her as if he was going to hug her, before pushing with both hands to her shoulders, causing her to fall to the floor.

“The next thing she remembered was being on the floor and feeling his foot striking the back of her head.”

The woman managed to wriggle free and tried to get her son to call the police, but Morris turned and headed upstairs.

The boy had locked himself in the bathroom to call 999, but Morris ‘kicked the bathroom door down’, grabbed his phone and smashed it, before grabbing hold of the boy’s arm and forcing him to the top of the stairs.

The woman grabbed Morris’ arm and pulled him back before he fell down the stairs, the court heard

She was left with a laceration to the back of her head which required eight stitches, as well as bruising and swelling to her face, neck and head.

Her son was left with bloody finger marks on his upper arm and bruising.

Morris pleaded guilty to section 20 grievous bodily harm; criminal damage; and common assault.

He has one previous conviction for assault dating back to 2001.

In mitigation, Rachel Shenton said her client accepted the incident was ‘wholly unacceptable and unpleasant’ and ‘should never have happened’.

“This was a perfect storm in many ways,” she said.

“This was out of character – he is not somebody who hits women or children.”

Sentencing Morris, Recorder Carwyn Cox said: “On that evening you were out of control.

“You lost sense, which I believe you usually have.

“This was wholly out of character and a one-off.”

Morris, of Maple Close in Heavily, Stockport, was handed an eight-month sentence, suspended for two years; ordered to complete 30 days of rehabilitation activity; and undertake 200 hours of unpaid work.

He was also made the subject of a restraining order, banning him from contacting the woman or her son.

To get the latest court news and more, click here to sign up to our newsletter

MEN – Stockport