A secondary school in Stockport was locked down following a ‘hoax threat’.
Bosses at The Kingsway School said they enacted their lockdown procedures this morning (Tuesday) due to ‘information’ they received.
Police said this was due to a threat which was later confirmed to be a hoax.
The school has over 1,400 pupils based at two campuses on Broadway and Foxland Road, just a few hundred yards apart, either side of the A34 Kingsway in Cheadle.
They said they locked down as a ‘precautionary measure’ and that ‘at no time were any students at risk.’
They also praised the responses of the students to the drama.
In a statement on their Facebook page and Twitter feed this afternoon they said: “This morning we activated our lockdown procedures, as a precautionary measure, due to information we received.
“Our routine lockdown procedures were followed and we can assure parents and carers that at no time were any students at risk.
“Our students were outstanding, conducting themselves maturely and quickly adjusting back to their normal routine.”
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the incident had now been ‘confirmed as a hoax threat’ and that a male had been voluntarily interviewed following it.
The force is expected to release further details in due course.
The Manchester Evening News contacted the school for further comment but received no response.
Sign up for Stockport news updates direct to your inbox
Keep up to date with the top stories about life in and around Stockport with the free email newsletter from MyStockport.
The MyStockport newsletter goes out on Thursdays with a selection of our most popular articles, including the latest on the pandemic and how Stockport is battling back from the rigours of lockdown.
To sign up to the MyStockport newsletter simply click on this link, enter your email address and put a tick against the box for ‘MyStockport News’.