Drowning of dad which triggered murder investigation found to be non-suspicious, inquest hears

The death of a Gorton dad whose body was found in the water at Reddish Vale Country Park is not thought to be suspicious, an inquest has heard.

Keano Byrne, 26, had been reported missing almost two weeks before his body was discovered on April 7. His inquest opening at South Manchester Coroner’s Court on Wednesday (July 26) heard despite an initial murder probe, officers do not believe there was any third party involvement in his death.

Paying tribute to him following his death, the 26-year-old’s father said he was a ‘happy-go-lucky’ lad with a ‘good heart’ who was ‘adored’ by his three-year-old daughter.

Join our WhatsApp Top Stories and Breaking News group by clicking this link.

“He was robbed of life, and he will never see his daughter grow up. We all miss him so much and we will always remember Keano for all joy he brought to our lives,” he added.

“Our Keano has been taken from us far too soon and we are now left with a huge hole in all our hearts that will not be filled. I have no doubt Keano’s legacy with go on forever, we all miss you so much Keano.”

Also paying tribute to him, Keano’s mother said: “To the apple of my eye, my son Keano. You kept me going and I will no longer have that spark between us anymore now you are gone.

Keano Byrne was described as a ‘happy-go-lucky lad’ by his father
(Image: Greater Manchester Police)

“You were everything to me, you are my baby boy and always will be. All I ever wanted from you; you gave to me. I will cherish your memory and make sure your little girl is happy and safe.

“I will never forget you and I will love you forever, keep lighting up with the smile of yours. Sleep tight son, love always, Mum.”

The Manchester Evening News has previously revealed the 26-year-old’s criminal past, including convictions for robbery, assault, dangerous driving, possession of drugs and criminal damage. Mr Byrne was jailed by a judge for his crimes in 2019.

Greater Manchester Police initially launched a murder investigation following his death and arrested two men, aged 26 and 30. Officers later eliminated the 26-year-old from enquiries and released the other suspect on bail pending further investigations.

Opening the inquest, area coroner Chris Morris said a post mortem examination carried out by pathologist Charles Wilson gave Mr Byrne’s cause of death as drowning.

“I am satisfied an inquest is required into the tragic death of Keano Byrne,” he said. He also requested a report from Mr Byrne’s GP and any toxicology reports that were carried out following his death.

A full inquest will be held at a later date.

Manchester Evening News – Stockport